Switching Amarok to mysql

We keep our music on our tiny server. It works really well because Cassandra and I can both access it from our computers. I believe I could network it to our living room if I was willing to run a cable, but thats another story for another day.

I mostly play my music under Linux on my PC. One thing that has always bothered me is that as the collection got large our Music player, Amarok, started to get kind of slow to respond. I'm sure part of it is the fact that the filesystem is remote (running on Tiny), but Amarok supports running mysql (default is less powerful SQLite) as its database and I figured changing to that might help. In fact it did. But I had to do a few things to get it all going.

First of all you have to make sure you have mysql installed. I used Adept Package Manager to add mysql-server and mysql-client-5.0.

Then I made a database for Amarok to use:
mysql -p -u root
CREATE DATABASE amarok;
USE amarok;
GRANT ALL ON amarok.* TO amarok@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'PASSWORD_CHANGE_ME';

(I copied most of the above from: The Amarok Wiki with thanks.)

Next I my Amarok settings. I'm using 1.4.9.1 under KDE. I just went to settings, configure amarok, collection. There I changed the database to MySql.
Hostname: localhost
Port: 3306
Database: amarok
username: amarok
password: .

I rescanned my collection and everything works. And its much faster.

Followup:
After rebooting my collection had disappeared. After an hour of frustration, I found that for some reason or other the Collection Folders had changed in the settings. I changed them back and it worked fine. No idea why.